How Do Delta-8-THC Edibles Work
If you’re vaping or smoking Delta 8, you’ll feel the effects right away. But edibles are more complicated: Your body needs time to digest, metabolize, and absorb the cannabinoid compounds. Depending on your metabolism, body weight, and many other factors, it could take well over an hour, sometimes even two hours, before edible effects are noticeable.
Inhaling sends the Delta-8-THC — which has just been activated by the heat you applied — and other, non-intoxicating cannabinoids directly to your bloodstream and brain.
- After traveling down your esophagus, the THC edible lands in the stomach.
- Once in the stomach, your tasty treat is digested by acids and enzymes that break it down into its parts, including Delta-8-THC.
- Next, the THC is absorbed through the stomach's lining, then makes its way to the liver.
- After arriving in the liver, the Delta-8-THC is transformed into 11-Hydroxy-THC; this type of THC is much more potent than Delta-8-THC and Delta-9-THC; it also can cross the blood-brain barrier much faster and more readily than THC that’s been inhaled.
The effects of any THC edible will most certainly take longer to kick-in than smoking or inhaling — but when they do, the effects are much stronger.
Patience is a virtue and a necessity when you’re eating edibles. Whether you’re new to all forms of Delta-8-THC or you’re just new to edibles, you should start with the lowest dose possible. Consider cutting your edibles in half to start and... save the rest for later. When ingesting a Delta-8-THC oil, always use calibrated droppers; this way, you can measure your dose with precision. Also, never start with a full dropper, no matter what the bottle says. Measure your oil to read 1/4ml (or fill the dropper to the first line on the bottom, closest to the tip). A quarter of the dropper (.25ml) is the perfect amount to test your Delta 8 Oil potency.
By many people’s standards, 2mg’s of Delta-8-THC is considered a “low” or “micro-dose,” while 5mg of Delta-8-THC is a standard dose. For those experienced with edibles, 10mg is a strong starting point with great pain relief and deep relaxation.
Whether or not you have food in your stomach affects the absorption time and intensity of the THC, and it is advisable to eat a snack before consuming any THC edible. It is not a bad idea to have regular snacks on hand after taking edibles, especially because it is hard to be satisfied with just one gummy or brownie, especially if they taste outstanding!
If your body has never experienced the effects of THC before, that doesn’t mean you should avoid edibles. Many people prefer edibles when compared to smoke and vape. However, start with the smallest amount of D8 possible—2 mg; if your eating D8 gummies, bite your gummy into a small piece—and wait up to two hours for the effects. You'll be glad you did.
Drink water, eat snacks, relax while you’re waiting, and always listen to your body. That said, even if you have smoked and vaped before, you should expect different effects from edibles, which, again, are slower but stronger.
It is easy to eat too much accidentally, and it can be a very uncomfortable ride. For this reason, we have written down some steps you can take when you realize that...you might have bitten off more than you can chew!
- Step 1 - Drink lots of water, relax, and stay away from driving. The effects will go away; it just takes a bit of time. This, too, shall pass! Always remember that when you find yourself head-on with edible overconsumption. No matter how bad it gets, you will come back down to earth.
- Step 2 - Always have some CBD products close by. When possible, try and have some strong CBD edibles nearby, and make sure they don't contain any CBD. CBD has known to temper the effects of THC and can help slow down the panic feeling people get when they are too high. Check out the 500mg Blue Raspberry gummy rings from Good CBD. Each gummy ring contains a whopping 100mg of CBD isolate, and they taste amazing.
- Step 3 - Find ways to distract yourself from thinking about your bad D8 trip. Going on a power walk works for some people, watching a favorite movie where you know every line work for people. Besides, drawing or diving into some creative outlet really helps people forget that they are super high. You have to remember it is all in your head, so as long as the high is there, find some way to embrace it.
- Step 4 - Sleep. Drink some water and tuck yourself into bed. You’ll wake up refreshed, and though you may be a little groggy or “off” the next morning, it will dissipate quickly. It’s not like an alcohol hangover at all.
All forms of THC edibles have come a long way since becoming mainstream. They taste much better; the packaging is top of the line, the flavor profiles are that of famous chefs, bakers, baristas, chocolatiers, and cicerone's. In fact, there is nothing not to like about THC edibles. But, if you are not equipped with the proper knowledge and know-how for consuming edibles, you can be in for a bumpy ride. We hope that this article was informative and hopefully turns what could have been a disaster of a day/night, into one of the best adventures you've ever experienced.
This message was brought to you by Injoy Extracts. Please Injoy Delta 8 responsibly.